Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sheezay’s State 9: Kambathu Rapper Album Review


Artiste: Sheezay
Album: Kambathu Rapper
Affiliates: Pysho.Unit
Number of Tracks:  12(Including Intro and Outro)

Before I begin, I have to admit that I am a sucker forMalaysian made rap music and that that too Tamil rap music. I went out a coupleof weeks ago and bought several local Albums and one that stood out was Sheezay’sKambathu Rapper. It is indeed a refreshing album so I am going to breakdown thealbum blow for blow based on the tracks on the Album. This is a long piece sobrace yourselves. If you want to skip the commentary on each song then scrollright down to the last paragraph :)

The Album starts off with the intro (duh!) where we haveSheezay dropping a power packed verse introducing himself as the KambathuRapper which literally means village rapper or rapper kampong. The title for hisalbum itself is unique and not to mention hilarious. Those psycho unit guyshave a way of keeping their fans entertained.

The next track is called Shoot the Kili and is through andthrough against piracy. The message is delivered comically through a song witha female vocalist (Shobana Nair) adlibbing Sheezay. One of the verses in thetrack mentions Sheezay’s parents asking him not to do an Album and instead toget a job. This is something that I can very well relate to when I was in thescene. Shoot the Kili has to be one of my favourite tracks on the album as themessage is clear and talks about the struggle of artistes. If this album isstill pirated, I really do not know what else to say about the idiots outthere.

Track three is called Rockaboy which is Sheezay’s alternatenickname and it talks about, well… Sheezay. Additional vocals on this track areCandyman who is also a member of Psycho.Unit. I love the beats on this track;nice strong kicks and snares and the arrangement is excellent. Just like amajority of the tracks on the album, this is another track you would be able tohave a good laugh especially the line “thongarathu thinggirathukku thaa”, verynicely sneaked into the flow of the lyrics. Listen to it and you will know whatI mean.

Pavakanakasakathaanseiyum is a long title for a song and itis also the fourth track of the album. It features Candyman who dominates mostof the track. The track talks about love and its pitfalls. Candyman is theprotagonist on this track. It starts off with Sheezay and Candyman having aconversation with regards to couples committing suicide due to love failures… acommon thing in our community. So Candyman goes on to explain that nobody isperfect and we would all take opportunities of each other so be a little bitwiser in relationships. One of the verses also advises the listener not to belike tamil movie heroes which is indeed true because in a majority of Tamilmovies, it is love or bust. You fail in love, kill yourself! Kudos to theseguys for sending the right message to our youth.

The fifth track on this album is called Indian Monster; nottoo sure why though but anyway it is a fully English track. Although most ofthe songs in the album are mixed with English and Malay colloquial terms butthis track features full English verses by Rabbit and Rubba.Bend who are bothfrom Psycho.Unit. Rubba.Bend I believe is the latest addition to thePsycho.Unit team and I must say it is refreshing to hear a female Tamil rapper(I know it is an English track but you will learn later why I say female TamilEmcee). The track is about partying. Quite a number of words in this track are backmasked if you know what I mean :D

The following track is called Puppy Love and I guaranteeyou, you will sing a long after several times of listening to it and not tomention laugh your arse off. I must add that this Sheezay dude can also sing.The song is as the title suggests; puppy love. He speaks about how he fell inlove when he was 15 with a kambathu ponnu (village girl) and I am not going tospoil the song for you. If this song had a favourite icon, I would click it.

Fly Tamizhans really shows Sheezay’s talent as a rapperbecause when I first heard him on the Rabbit and Friendz album, his verse inChakra Sonic’s track really impressed me because of the fast paced lyrics whichis quite hard to do in Tamil because you need some very good pronunciationskills. This track has a combo of rappers namely Rabbit, MC Syze andStylomannavan. Stylomannavan and Sheezay used to be in the same rap groupcalled Diwan.

Next on the list is Forever. This track features Daddy Shaqwho was formerly from Rockgawave and this guy has an excellent voice. Themelody on the chorus will make you sing along to it. Sheezay’s lyric writingskill is quite evident on this track and it is in contrast to the rest of thesongs where the lyrics are playful and a lot of colloquial terms are used. However,on this track the lyrics are mature and deep. I am one person who pays detailsto lyrics and on this song, Sheezay has proven that he is indeed a goodlyricist which is key in being a rapper in my honest opinion.

Track number nine is called Kambathu Swagger featuringHaricharan who is an Indian playback singer and when I say Indian, he is fromIndia not Malaysia. He is quite well known in the Indian movie scene as aplayback singer so believe me, this track is definitely dope! “kambathuRamarajan pole naanum vazhnthavan….”

Ghetto Disco was Sheezay’s promo track on the album Rabbitand Friendz. It features Rabbit and it is yet another comically written track. Theintro to the song is enough to make you laugh and the lyrics that follow goeswithout saying. If this song were to be played in a club, it would be on firebecause of the amount of bass in this song.

Finally the highlight of the album “M.O.D” featuring theentire Psycho.Unit crew is one savadi track.M.O.D stands for Mande Odi Dance which means the otak tak center dance. The CDinlay explains how to do the M.O.D. I am still trying to do the M.O.D but it makesme look mental…so am not too sure if I failed or succeeded. The entire Psycho.Unitcrew on this track that consists of Rabbit, Rubba.Bend, Vikadakvi, Crime Minista, Candyman and Daddy Shaq. Remember when I saidearlier on that it was refreshing to hear a female Tamil Emcee, here Rubba.Bendraps in Tamil, at least a little bit. I like damaging my car stereo with thissong, I am pretty sure at least one speaker is torn.

I am not going to spoil the outro to the album. Buy andlisten!

Overall, this album is a must have for all local musiclovers. It is very creatively done and sends a strong message. The only qualm Ihad with the album was that there was too much of talking on some of the tracksbut it should not be a reason not to buy this album. You will not regret asingle cent you paid for the album. It is only RM25 so please I beg you,support your local music scene otherwise, we will never hear from these guysagain. This album deserves 8 out of 10 stars.


Join me on Facebook: facebook.com/AccidentalBlogger

Twitter: twitter.com/vixstarrNS

If you like this article, Please donate to the author to maintain his sanity. Thanks :)













3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent review brother..u mirrored my thoughts about the album

Vixstarr said...

Thank you for reading, bro!

THE FACELESS GENERATION MOVEMENT said...

hahahaha...superb and fresh!!! cantik macam bunga dats all i can say.... kudos to the lyricist! sempoi! make me laugh my ass out!!! hahaha and for the outro mantra hahahaha Oh my!